- North Cyprus Daily Tours
- Culture and food walking tour of north Nicosia
Culture and food walking tour of north Nicosia
- Group tour
- 6-7 hours duur
- Tour in het English
- Gratis annuleren tot 7 dagen ervoor
A great way to discover sights and tastes of the old walled city of North Nicosia. Visit a traditional bakery, taste fresh Turkish delight in the market, and have lunch in a restored caravanserai. With free time to explore and shop, this tour really does taste as good as it looks! Please note the price is valid up to 2 people. There is a £10 per person extra charge for more than 2 people.
- Traditional bakery and treats
- St Sophia Cathedral
- Local market with fresh Turkish delight tasting
- Traditional Cypriot lunch in historic surroundings
- Free time to explore, shop or cross into south Cyprus
Wat te verwachten
Before your tour, please wear suitable footwear for a full day’s walking. You might also find a bag useful for a hat, sunscreen, bottled water - and your shopping! If you want cross into south Cyprus, bring your passport too.
Your tour guide will meet you at 10am at the historic Kyrenia Gate (Girne Kapısı) in Nicosia, one of the original gates into the old walled city. If you need a transfer from your hotel in Cyprus, we will be happy to arrange this at the discounted prices.
We’ll walk together through the streets to Arap Ahmet street, visiting Samanbahca and enjoying a Turkish coffee or soft drink break.
Your guide will lead you into the heart of the old city, to a traditional Turkish bakery in the Arasta area. Here, you can sample some of the delicious treats freshly made every day including lachmachun (like pizza, only much better!), and Turkish pide rice.
From the bakery, it’s a short walk to the magnificent St Sophia Cathedral. Your guide will reveal the history of how the largest Gothic building in Cyprus dating from the 13th century became the elegant and peaceful Selimiye Mosque.
From the cool interior of the mosque we emerge into the sunlight to walk to the famous Nicosia’s popular Covered Market. We’ll stop and taste sweets and fresh Turkish delight, so different from the boxed versions. You’ll have some free time to walk through the stalls to browse and buy at your leisure.
Your guide will bring you, like so many travellers before you, to the ancient Great Inn, or Buyuk Han, for a traditional Cypriot lunch in the inn’s courtyard, Your lunch is a mix of temptingly tasty dishes including halloumi cheese borek, beef borek, grilled halloumi, rice-stuffed vine leaves vine leafs, bulgar roll stuff with minced beef and herbs, Cypriot meat balls, Seftali Kebab, and ricotta cheese pie for dessert!* Your lunch is included in your tour price; just buy your own soft drinks, wine or beer.
After lunch, your time is your own. Explore the arts and crafts shops in this restored medieval traveller’s inn, with individual rooms above and stables for the animals below, all facing an inner courtyard. Cross into south Cyprus at the Ledra Street checkpoint (passport required). Or simply wander to explore the streets and shops at your own pace.
At 4pm, we meet up again at the Kyrenia Gate after a wonderful day in Nicosia.
Wat is inbegrepen
- Tasting of local foods and drinks as detailed in the itinerary above (dishes and foods may vary according to availability)
- Lunch at the Great Inn
- English speaking, entertaining professional tour guide
- Entry to St Sophia Cathedral
- Price is valid for up to 2 people
- Drinks at lunch
- Personal spending at markets, etc
- There is an extra £10 per person for more than 2 People
- Your confirmation email will indicate the time to meet at Kyrenia Gate in Nicosia.
- if you need help finding or have any questions about the meeting point please feel free to contact us.
- If you need a transfer from your hotel in Cyprus, please contact us to arrange this at the discounted prices.
- This is a group tour/activity.
- Departure time is 10:00 am.
- Duration is 6-7 hours.
- Returns to original departure point.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 7 days in advance of the start date of the tour.
- There is no need to print email confirmation. The guide will have a list of participants, and they will only need to check your name from the list.